Feature request here

Topics: PowerShell
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2007 at 6:05 PM
What's new feature do you want for new version of Powershell Remoting?
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2007 at 7:27 PM
Here is what I think of:

1. one client vs multiple server
2. installer (MSI & ZIP)
3. Tab completion
4. GUI manager with user.xml editor
5. stronger communication protocol between client and server

Jul 10, 2007 at 7:14 PM
support for non-interactive usage

- work with credentials like the get-wmi cmdlet does, so that I can prepare credential object beforehead and then use it multiple times
- passing commands /scriptblocks for the remote session to execute
- forward the output of the (noniteractive) remote session back into local session for postprocessing

eg:
{
#both machinelist.txt and systemlist.txt are stored localy
$creds= get-credential
$codetobeexecutedeemotely = { gwmi Win32_ComputerSystem }
Get-Content machinelist.txt | % { echo "machine: $" ; remote -machine $_ -credential $cred - scriptblock $codetobeexecutedremotely } > system_list.txt
}

hope you can understand me (i can't make the wiki markup leave my code snippet as it is: it mangled all underscores)

zeL

ps: sorry for my engish and thanks for developing powershell remoting. it fills a big hole in the powershellastheonlytoolneededfowwindowsadministration scheme.
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2007 at 2:13 PM
Well, this is a feature of powershell already. You can prepare credentials for multiple uses.
see blog:
http://mshforfun.blogspot.com/2006/02/tired-of-typing-administrators.html
http://www.leeholmes.com/blog/PermaLink,guid,5ec5453a-e2e7-459d-a1e6-ff38b718591a.aspx

But once you connected to remote powershell host using powershell remoting, every operation is on remote host. You have no control over local host. You can store credential on remote (as a file or in memory) though.
Jul 13, 2007 at 1:41 PM
i think i did not make myself clear.

1) even if I use a wrapper to run Start-RemoteHost.ps1 under a different account, I would still have to press "Y" for "yes, Use default credential."

2) these wrappers start processes (with given login and password) on a local system whilst Start-RemoteHost.ps1 autenticate against the remote one.

i think that both cases can be solved by adding a credential argument to the Start-RemoteHost.ps1 script.
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2007 at 11:33 PM
We can do that for sure.